top of page

PHOTO ARCHIVE: Beatties Birkenhead Department Store Building & Tea Rooms During Demolition

PHOTO ARCHIVE: Beatties Birkenhead Department Store Building & Tea Rooms — A Brief History & Photographic Collection

The building was home to Beatties of Wolverhampton which was founded in 1877, opening this Birkenhead branch in 1963 for which they remained there until March 2020 when they closed (Credit: The Liverpudlian/This image is an original piece of work by The Liverpudlian Team).
The building was home to Beatties of Wolverhampton which was founded in 1877, opening this Birkenhead branch in 1963 for which they remained there until March 2020 when they closed (Credit: The Liverpudlian/This image is an original piece of work by The Liverpudlian Team).

Pictured are the Tea Rooms of the old Beatties Department Store building in Birkenhead featuring 4 overhanging Oriel Windows.


The site is currently in the midst of demolition as this inner-City Region area receives a wealth of regeneration.


Beatties (pronounced bee-teas) was famously renowned for its quality departments, friendly staff and service, and tea rooms, of which many people share fond memories of the much-loved department store institution.

The building was home to Beatties of Wolverhampton which was founded in 1877, opening this Birkenhead branch in 1963 for which they remained there until March 2020 when they closed.


In 2005 the Beatties company and brand was acquired by House of Fraser, later adopting the House of Fraser branding, ultimately replacing the Beatties branding.


Forming part of the masterplan for regeneration across the Liverpool City Region, it is proposed an apartment block with 84 flats and a new Market replaces the Beatties site. This was kickstarted by the construction (as seen in the photographs) of two 5-storey double-height floor office blocks.

Where Currently Is/Was Beatties In Birkenhead Located?

Grange Road,

Birkenhead,

The Hamilton Quarter,

Borough of Wirral,

Liverpool City Region, UK.

Comments